Pages

Monday, August 2, 2010

Am I there yet?

Most mornings on my commute to work I have the same daydream. What will it be like when I retire? I won't have to don these heals, skirts, pack my lunch, iron my clothes or leave my house before 8:00 am UNLESS I choose to do so. Now at the age of 54 one might be thinking, 'retire', you're too young, you'll be bored. Ummmm no, because I feel that my job interferes with my personal life! But I need to work but for how much longer?

What I am doing I thought, I am wishing my life away. But these thoughts didn't start this morning on my way into the office. I remember when I was 7 or 8 I couldn't wait to be a 'double' digit, aka, 10! When I was 10 I couldn't wait to be a teenager, 13! Then I was onto 16 so I could have more priviledges; then it was wishing to be 18 so I can be 'legal' and onto 21 to make my life 'official'. After 21 there aren't any other birthday's we WANT to achieve, but we do celebrate the 25th for being a 'decade', and then comes 30-40-50, etc.

When I thought about it this morning I realizled that here I am again, going full circle looking forward to birthdays again. I am looking forward to 57 the age I can officially retire from BNY Mellon, 59 1/2 so I can collect my 401K, 62 so I can file for Social Security.

And then I pause and remember that it's not in my plan when anything happens to me, it's in His plan ~ stop trying to control your life and let it just flow like a river ~ I repeated to myself over and over today. Just be happy being 54 (and a half & counting).

1 Corinthians 7:15 (New International Version)
15But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace.

3 comments:

  1. 25 would be the quarter century, not a decade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I repeat all the time let go and let God. My dad told me this a long time ago and when I'm scared to say the 23rd Psalm. I wish I could be more like him and accept life as it is, but I'm a scardy cat. (lol) You're great. Keep em' coming. <3

    ReplyDelete